Monday, October 3, 2016

Tutorial: How To Boil Fur!


In this tutorial, you'll see my method for boiling fake fur which gives it a really nappy and crinkled texture. The fur I'll be using is a medium pile which some fabric stores label as "Punky Muppet." I should note that I have found this technique most effective for this particular fur fabric only. It is certainly worth experimenting boiling furs of varying pile lengths/weights.

Because, when boiled, the fur fabric will shrink a bit, I don't cut out my pattern pieces prior to boiling. Instead, I boil a whole piece of fabric and then trace/cut out my pattern pieces.  

First, I cut a section of fur fabric. I find it better to work with smaller to medium size pieces so the fabric has enough room to move around in the boiling water for a more even result. Always cut fur fabric on the backing side with a razor blade.


 Next, you'll need to fill a stockpot about 3/4 full of water. With the pot on the stove top, turn the heat on high and let the water come to a boil.



You'll also need a pair of industrial rubber gloves and a pair of large tongs to avoid burning your hands in this process. Safety first!


Once the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Put on your rubber gloves and dunk the fur fabric into the pot.  


Leave the fabric in the water no longer than 10 seconds. I usually keep it submerged for 5-7 seconds. You want the fur to crinkle in the heat, but not melt. 



While the pot on the stove is coming to a boil, I fill a second stockpot about 1/2 full of cold water from the tap and set next to the stove. When the fur has completed is boiling process, I remove it from the first pot and then dunk it in the cold water pot. 


Next, I run the fur through the delicate rinse cycle in my washing machine. This will wring out any excess water. Finally, I stick the fur in the dryer and run it on "air dry" for 30 minutes. (Do NOT run fake fur through the dryer on a heat setting. Doing so will melt the fur!) If it is still damp, I'll set it on a drying rack until it is completely dry.

\

Once dried, your boiled fur should look like this! Now it's ready for your next creation!


3 comments:

  1. I'm trying out a tester piece of fabric right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked quite well. Thanks for sharing the information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I've been looking for a way to not spend $50 a yard on cookie monster type fur!!! This is the answer, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete